Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Where does depression hurt? In my mouth.

My mouth and jaw are still very painful. I really don't remember recovery taking this long 10 years ago. Is it because I'm somewhat depressed?

I did come up with one insight. I think I'm overly stressed out at work because every week I'm responsible for creating four sets of curricula for the four groups I facilitate: dual diagnosis recovery, early recovery, art therapy, and federal prisoners' relapse and recovery. I have some materials for the first two groups, but very little for the other two, and I think the stress is making me irritable. Because of course each group has to be meaningful, with full participation and truly significant content.

It's a lot of pressure to put on myself, and the winter is a bad time for me as it is. I'm going to talk to my supervisor about it when I drag myself into the office tomorrow. On Percocet, if need be. Hopefully my ex-addict clients won't read my pupils and deduce that I'm on something.
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

2 comments:

  1. Why assume you ache because you are depressed? Teeth and gums are unpredictable. Maybe it's something endemic to your mouth. Definitely call your dentist if you still hurt tomorrow.

    As far as work, that will also probably seem less daunting when you are in less pain. I'd postpone that conversation 'til you are off percocet.

    Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I got my tongue pierced in high school, I remember being instructed to make chamomile tea ice cubes to suck on to reduce inflammation and it really helped! Maybe that might help you, too.

    Refuah shleimah.

    ReplyDelete