Sunday, March 07, 2010

Has it really been a week since I blogged?

I lost a day. I thought it was Saturday. It's Sunday.

JV thought his nasty head cold would migrate into a nasty chest cold. Unfortunately, it migrated into my chest. I had a rough week and I've been sleeping most of this weekend. Took three Vitamin K Friday night and 3 yesterday (I think), so I'm still kind of woozy. Maybe I overdid it, but I just wanted to get some rest without sneezing, coughing, or choking on phlegm. I was by myself; nobody was going to take care of me, so I might as well sleep. I'm diffusing peppermint oil, too, so I'm not wholly reliant on western pharmaceuticals.

Fortunately, JV has the kids this weekend; I wouldn't have been there anyway. I just canceled my Brazialian hair straightening, so all I need to do today is rest and get this phlegm out of my chest. Uck.

No shortage of stuff happening, I'm just too feeble to chronicle it. JV and I took the kids to the Russian mini-opera on Purim last week -- by "mini" I mean 1/2-hour, which was just about long enough for Malchick1 to tolerate without a meltdown.

"Do you like restaurants?" M1 asked me near the end. He knew we were going out to eat after the performance.

"Sure," I said.

"Better than this, right?" he said. Philistine. Suppose I can't blame him -- he's only 7.

Malchick 2 enjoyed the performance -- he sings in a choir and he speaks Russian. It wasn't hard to follow, given the Purim theme, which I've known since childhood. I could distinguish Esther from Achashverosh -- he had a beard, for one thing, and she was the only female on stage -- and they used dance and body language to tell different aspects the story and musical themes to differentiate the hero, Mordechai, from the villain, Haman. (As if you couldn't tell from their costumes, postures, movements, and facial expressions.)

Interestingly, Haman used similar body language to that used by Jews in anti-semitic propaganda movies -- cringing and smiling in the presence of power, craftiness and plotting to get what they want, smiling to your face and scowling behind your back, etc. And Mordechai, a hot blond Russian tenor, was a lot sexier than the dark-haired bass Haman, who was Jewish. I didn't hear megillah this year, but I don't remember it saying anything about Mordechai being as attractive as Esther. It would have made for an interesting artistic statement had they switched roles -- hot Haman, cringing ugly Mordechai -- but in opera the tenor is always the hero, and I don't think the dark-haired singer could have hit those notes.
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

No comments:

Post a Comment