Thursday, July 22, 2010

I suppose it's only fair

I made JV wait 20 years between breaking up with him in college and crawling back to him in hopes of reconciliation. And he was nice enough to reconcile, and never holds my college-era behavior against me. Only fair to let him have as much time as he needs to get engaged. Especially after he had to spend so much time with me in the ER and the psych ward.

Doesn't make it much easier to wait, though. I think part of the problem is that my work life is also somewhat up in the air. I know I'm not fired -- I'm pretty sure -- but I don't know what my job will be like when I go back. I hate all this limbo, having half my stuff at my place and half at his. But I have to deal with it.

Yesterday was JV's day with the kids, and I was at the house when they got home from camp. They were a little surprised to see me.

"But it's a good surprise," M1 decided. Whew. "Why are you here?" he asked.

"Your dad didn't tell you? My apartment is being painted, and it smells really bad," I said. "I needed someplace to stay."

"It's good that you're here. You know why?" M1 thought for a moment. "Because if you breathe in that paint smell, it's bad for you. And then you smell like paint, which is also bad."

"Did you fast, Ayelet?" asked M2.

"I did," I said. No sense explaining modified fasting to a 6.5-year-old.

"My mom fasted," he told me eagerly, "and then she drank some orange juice, and then she threw up four times."

"Wow!" I said. "Did you take care of her?"

"Well... she was mostly lying on the couch," he said, still enthralled by the thought of someone vomiting four times in a row. Boys.
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

No comments:

Post a Comment