Friday, November 12, 2010

Charge of the youth brigade

I woke up this morning to a Jwed Icebreaker from a 50yo man who's been visiting my profile frequently. I don't find him attractive, perhaps in part because he doesn't have a college degree but also because he just looks old. Really old. Bald, graying hair, wrinkles. So I sent him a polite rejection and thought, "Here it goes again... the parade of interest from repellent men, while the attractive ones ignore me." Because I'm an optimist.

Later in the day, I got a Jwed email from a cute 33yo who lives in London:

[real name] im on facebook would love chat

Not very grammatical, but maybe it was just a quick note. This is his profile:

Grew up in: London
Consider relocation? Yes
Wishing to make aliyah to Israel? No
Jewish Education: yeshiva/seminary
Secular Education: Bachelors Degree
Languages Spoken: English, Hebrew
Political Beliefs: middle of the road
Occupation: currently a student.
Hobbies and Interests: MUSIC T.V. READING

What Modern Orthodox Liberal means to me:
KEEPING SHABBAT, KEEPING KOSHER LEARNING TORAH
DAILY. BEING A MENTCH
GIVING ZEDAKAH, RESPECTING PEOPLE.

This is how I describe myself:
KIND, PATIENT, CARING, HONEST, FRIENDLY.
HELPFUL, A LISTENER. HAPPY PERSONALITY, ROMANTIC, WELL WISHER,
IT IS IMPORTANT TO TREAT PEOPLE WITH RESPECT. TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF IT IS IMPORTANT. FAMILY IS IMPORTANT TO ME.

This is what I am looking for in a mate:
KIND CARING CONSIDERATE FRIENDLY.
SHOMEMRET SHAbatKASHRUT CHAGIM,
MODERN ORTHODOX,
SOMEONE WHO PLACES IMPORTANCE ON SPENDING LOTS OF QUALITY TIME WITH HER OTHER HALF. FAMILY IMPORTANCE.NOT TO LOUD, CALM
NOT TO OUTGOING.
SENSITIVE THOUGHTFUL.

Again, not very grammatical, although he seems nice enough. But what bemused me was his age. Why would a 33-year-old want to contact me? Most of the men that much younger than I am don't approach me with honorable intentions. So initially I was skeptical. Then I thought, why not give him the benefit of the doubt?

Thanks for the message. I would prefer to communicate on Jwed at the start, if that's okay with you. Shabbat shalom, or if you're reading this Saturday night, shavua tov.

Fine, whatever, I went back to work. Taking another short break, I got this email on Facebook:

I found you in the "biggest chanukah party" group and I see that you are attending. I also see we have some mutual friends and I would love to connect if you are open to it. Please add me as a friend and let's be in touch.

I decided that I need to get out and be social at least once a week, so I've been signing up for parties and events, including that Chanukah party. So I looked at the guy's profile. (Let's call him "Chanukah Party Guy" or CPG.) And he looks... cute, but young. Maybe 30, although he could be older than he looks.

This kind of thing doesn't happen to me often. I'm usually overlooked at parties, and I've never been singled out like this from an event list. But... what the heck? I added CPG as a friend and wished him a good Shabbos at 1:11. At 1:13 he wrote:

You too!

We do know a number of people in common, including, ironically, Jersey Jake. I haven't gotten in touch with any of them -- I'll let CPG make the moves. He took the initiative; according to the Rules, I should keep letting him chase me, while simultaneously being as nice as possible and somewhat elusive. Wonder if I can pull that off.

Oh -- and I'm having coffee with the Chabad-friendly 51yo on Sunday afternoon. He's going to a concert that evening and suggested we meet in the late afternoon. I assumed that meant we would just meet for coffee, so I suggested we go to Cafe Edgar. I'll let you know how it goes.
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

1 comment:

  1. Ayelet: I don't understand why you are "having coffee with the Chabad-friendly 51yo on Sunday afternoon."

    You'll let us know how it goes; that's considerate.

    ReplyDelete