Thursday, December 23, 2010

Thank God for good friends

It's been quite a week. I still haven't heard from CY. And on Tuesday night I slept funny and woke up with Quasimodo-size knots in my shoulders. Tonight I was feeling lonely and sore and weepy, so I called my friend Raphael, a clinical social worker who moonlights as a mohel. Yes, it's a strange combination. He decided to learn milah when he was attending social work school in a city that didn't have a mohel. Now he's usually just a therapist, but he keeps his tools and his skills sharp, just in case.

Anyway, we talked about my so-called life, agreed that CY is a total pussy, and I had a nice long cathartic cry. Before we spoke I was watching sad music-therapy videos that suited my mood -- Dan Fogelberg's "Leader of the Band," which always helps me cry; Moody Blues' "Go Now"; Left Banke's "Walk Away Renee"; and so on. After we spoke, I was feeling more upbeat, and listened to the infectious Maccabeats' "Candlelight," Blues Travelers' "Run-Around," and Go West's "King of Wishful Thinking."

Then I got an email from my Facebook friend Luke. As you may gather from the moniker, he's not Jewish. Very sweet and supportive guy, very encouraging and spiritual. And he sent me a little joke:

Hi Ayelet - I read this funny Jewish story on the web (msnbc.com) and I wanted to share it with you:

This reminds me of the story my grandmother told me once about the bucolic little shtetl of her youth somewhere near the Priapet marshes. This guy’s wife just delivered their first child and the guy has to find a mohel, so his neighbor writes on a piece paper the address where he should go find the mohel. So this guy goes into town to the address his friend gave him, and when he comes to it, he sees it’s just a clock shop. So he thinks, oy, he gave me the wrong address, but maybe the clock maker knows where the mohel lives. So he knocks on the door and this fella come out of the shop and the guy says, look, my friend gave me the wrong address for the mohel, but maybe you know where he lives, maybe close? But the fella from the shop just shakes his head and says, no, you came to the right address. I’m the mohel. And this guy says, you’re the mohel? And the fella says, yes, I’m the mohel. And the guys says, well, if you’re the mohel, why do you have clocks and watches in the window? And the mohel says, so what else should I put in the window?

(feel free to share it with your friends and family)

Think I'll do just that, Luke ;)
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

No comments:

Post a Comment