Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Kara-ego boost

"I think the DJ has a crush on you, Ayelet," said ET as I sat down after my third number. (First was "Goodbye Earl" by the Dixie Chicks; second "Bitch" by Meredith Brooks; third "Telephone" by Lady Gaga; last "Como la Flor" by Selena.)

"Does he touch your hand when he hands you the mic and takes it after your song?" I asked.

"Nope," said ET.

"Does he touch yours, Miriam?" I asked her.

"No, he doesn't," she said.

"Then he might have a crush on me," I said. "I can't believe he played all my songs that fast." Shortly he announced my fourth and final performance of the evening, and then I left. A disappointment to my young friend Baby, whom I ran into on the subway platform; she'd wanted to watch me perform. Baby persuaded me not to go home but to go back to the bar with her and her friend Carlos, which I did. I told her about the handsy DJ.

"You should totally hit that," said Baby.

"Yeah, I'll give him a note saying 'meet me in the bathroom after your shift,'" I joked.

"Do it!" she cried.

"I'm dating someone," I said, "and my last boyfriend had pretty specific feelings about me making out with other people at karaoke."

"What happens at karaoke stays at karaoke," opined Carlos. "Where's the guy you're dating?"

"At the chiropractor," I said. "I was annoyed at first, but now I think I'm having more fun without him. Earlier, this really young guy -- he looks about 16 -- was totally flirting with me. Trying to, at least. He saw me dancing while ET was singing and said, 'You can take the girl off the dance floor but you can't take the dance floor out of the girl!' But he didn't tell me his name, and I didn't introduce myself, so the conversation kind of petered out."

"Cute line," said Carlos. "Which one is he?"

"The one getting up to sing 'A Boy Named Sue,'" I said.

"He looks like a hobbit," said Carlos.

"Great," I said. "I'm irresistible to teenage hobbits."

"And hot DJs!" said Baby.

Apparently. The DJ took the mic to sing "I Feel Good."

"Dance with him!" shrieked Baby. I tried, but he seemed to dance with everyone except me. More proof of his ardor, according to Baby, so I decided to mess with him a little. Right before I left I handed him a note:

If you had danced with me during your number, I would have given you my number -- Ayelet

I also messed with the hobbit. After he sang "W-O-L-D," a Harry Chapin song I was unfamiliar with, I went up to him.

"That was amazing," I purred, touching his arm. "I love Harry Chapin, but I never heard that song. I'm so glad you sang it!" Stammering, he asked me which other Chapin songs I like. We had a little moment. But still he didn't tell me his name, and I wasn't really interested in taking it to another level -- although I knew I could have, if I'd given him just a little more encouragement. Then I left to go to the subway and was brought back to the bar by Baby.

I was a little worried that two late nights in a row would affect my mood, but so far I feel okay. I woke up at my usual early hour, though. Still need to use the light box and run a few errands before going to work on the 1-9 shift.

Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

No comments:

Post a Comment