Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Dire straits

My wonderful former employers have decided to contest unemployment. I put down "lack of work" in my unemployment filing. No direct deposits were made. I called the Department of Labor, and they told me my employers were citing misconduct. So I don't know what to do.

But I remembered that a blog reader had recommended I join the NYS Coalition of Social Workers. So I want to send them this message:

I was working at an agency and very unhappy there, and not performing well, leading to negative reviews. I was looking for other jobs. They promised me LCSW supervision at my interview. It turned out the supervision they were providing was not LCSW supervision. They sent out an email telling us that if we stayed employed with them, we would have no trouble applying for the LCSW. (I kept that email.) I stopped looking for another job. Then they fired me. They promised me they would not contest unemployment, and they have. I don't know what to do.

Any thoughts?
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

5 comments:

  1. Ayelet: I am very sorry to hear this. I do not live in New York State and every state has different procedures for unemployment compensation disputes, but where I live it is definitely worth contesting the employer's decision and you are right to be gathering all the documentation. Also, where I live, legal aid sometimes provides free lawyers to fight denials of unemployment compensation. Some legal aid offices also work with private attorneys who volunteer to handle some of these cases pro bono. I therefore suggest you start calling the legal aid offices in your area to see if you can get some free or low cost legal help. The bar association might also be able to provide a referral. Some people are very successful handling the hearing on their own without a lawyer, but it wouldn't hurt to try to get some assistance if you can. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A former colleague provided information about a local legal aid service. I will try contacting them and the New York State bar association. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ayelet, so sorry you have to deal with this. Legal aid is a great idea. My BIL knows something about employment issues; not sure if he can take your case but I can run it by him and see if he has any thoughts re how to proceed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the offer, FTT, but I'm going to contact the bar association (which was helpful during the rat apartment disaster) and this other organization, the New York Legal Assistance Group, which is funded by UJA. This is from their website:

    NYLAG is a not-for-profit law office founded in 1990 to provide free civil legal services to low income New Yorkers who would otherwise be unable to afford or receive legal assistance.

    NYLAG helps the poor and near poor in New York City access legal rights of vital importance. NYLAG clients include seniors, immigrants, victims of domestic violence, at-risk children, people with disabilities, people moving from welfare to work, Holocaust survivors, and individuals suffering from chronic and serious illness. NYLAG helps those in desperate need of assistance, handling a multitude of legal issues including obtaining government benefits such as food stamps and home care, securing orders of protection and divorces and handling immigration matters.

    NYLAG consists of a group of talented attorneys and support staff who believe in the power of the law to protect and serve the disenfranchised. Our ability to reach clients is greatly increased by the hundreds of volunteer attorneys, paralegals, students and other individuals who help NYLAG meet the legal needs of the population we serve.


    Hope they're willing to help me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For anyone reading this who may be facing similar problems, try the Unemployment Action Center.

    ReplyDelete