Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Glimmer of hope

I've been trying to get an interview with a particular agency since last October. They've ignored all my résumés and applications. But they're looking for people to work in a new program on Staten Island, so when they contacted me to attend an "open house," I agreed to go, hoping I'd be able to request a different location. Wasn't sure if it would be a group interview with several interviewees or an interview with a panel of several hiring powers. It turned out to be a screening interview with one person.

The interviewer could not have been nicer. She was visibly and vocally impressed with my résumé (thanks for reviewing it, Alona) and experience. She didn't ask why I am no longer with my former employer. She said I was a great fit for the agency and the program. And she told me she'd hire me herself -- if she could. She's the program director for another program within the agency, and was just there to help out with screening interviews. But she said she'd recommend that I be interviewed for a position in Brooklyn or Queens. (Whew.)

So maybe I haven't completely tanked my career quite yet. I feel a bit hopeful. Still kind of keyed up from the interview, but much less miserable and anxious than yesterday.

In other news, I got a letter via certified mail from my ob/gyn, reminding me I'm supposed to go in for another pap smear to follow up on last spring's colposcopy. Should I send them a letter asking them to leave me alone, since right now I really don't care if I get cancer?
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

3 comments:

  1. Are you sure Staten Island is impossible? How long would the commute be if you took the ferry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unless it's walking distance from the ferry, it's an impossible commute, and even then it's a very long commute. I would much rather be in Brooklyn or Queens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent!!! Glad you are feeling more optimistic about your prospects (as well you should!)

    ReplyDelete