Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Paralyzed

My mother came into town for the long weekend. We stayed at my sister's. Jerusha was remarkably nice throughout the visit, although I spent a good chunk of it reading and avoiding her children, not being a good aunt. Three days without the light box, and now I'm paralyzed. I could make a list of simple things I need to do: take out the garbage, take a shower, straighten my hair. And I haven't been able to do any of them.

I was able to fill out the application for a job open house I'm going to tomorrow. I have no idea how I'm going to do. I don't even really want the job, it's in Staten Island. But I've been applying to this agency since last October, and I was hoping this would put me on their radar.

I went to the trouble of dropping off my resume at a former co-worker's suggestion. And called and left a couple of messages. No response. What if I never get another job? I can't even think straight, it's like trying to walk through waist-deep molasses.

I managed to sign up for eHarmony. So far I haven't had to pay, I'm just starting to get to know my matches. Unfortunately, if I don't pay I can't see their photos or send them real messages. Not sure if it would be worth it, and not sure I'm up for dating anyway.

I also emailed a single dad on OKCupid. After some initial email chitchat, he wrote:

What is your interest? Are you looking for a penpal or a real world connection?

A man of action. Good. I wrote back:

Real world. I'm looking for a relationship, not endless email banter.

Didn't add: So ask me for my number already.

You and I are on the same page then... so... how do I get to meet you in person? Are you interested? I'm in midtown in the low 50s on 6th Ave. I'm available after 3 PM.

What happened to talking on the phone? And since when am I supposed to go to meet you? I would love to write that, but that would probably put him off.

Why don't we talk on the phone first?

He responded quickly:

Sounds great! Where can I call you? 

I gave him my phone number and told him I'd be home after 7. (Before 7 of course, but I wanted to look like I have something of a life.)  He wrote:

You can call me 24/7/365 @ 845-555-0624. I look forward to speaking with you. 

You are supposed to call me, Single Dad! Isn't that how it works? Man calls woman. Man meets woman at a location convenient for her, or takes her somewhere and then brings her home. I don't want to call him. But I guess I'll have to.
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

1 comment:

  1. He sounds odd. You gave him your number; wait for him to call you.

    Hope you are feeling better soon! : )ch

    ReplyDelete