Thursday, March 10, 2011

What should I write to Dr. Pilot?

So eHarmony has introduced me to a number of men. I've been corresponding with several. But there's only one I'm really interested in: Dr. Pilot.

I don't know what kind of doctor he is, but I do know what he's passionate about, because eHarmony asks you to write "the one thing I'm most passionate about":

I'm very passionate about flying...I've had my private pilot's license for over 7 years and it is one of the most challenging, adventurous, and rewarding things I've ever done - the fulfillment of a childhood dream and one of the prime motivating factors for success in my career.

In case you're curious, in response to the same, Ayelet wrote:

I love spending time with my nieces and nephews, doing nails (just the nieces), talking about their problems, sharing movies and other things I love with them. 

A little more about Dr. Pilot (the bolded phrases are the eHarmony prompts):

The most influential person in my life has been: Difficult question, but the first people that come to mind are my AP chemistry teacher in high school and my composition 101 professor in college. Both of them believed in me at a time when I didn't believe in myself, and taught me a lot about what I am capable of and opened my mind to new pathways of thought.

The three things which I am most thankful for:
  • My family.
  • My education.
  • My friends.
The things I can't live without are:
  • Love, sex, and affection.
  • Constantly learning new things.
  • My family and friends.
  • Finding new adventures.
  • Flying small aircraft.
I typically spend my leisure time: Spend time with my family and friends, work out, fly airplanes, ride my motorcycle.

An affectionate, in-shape physician pilot who rides a motorcycle. Am I crazy for reaching out to him? He's obviously out of my league. But I loved riding on the back of my college boyfriend's motorcycle. ("Boyfriend" is probably too strong a word -- he wasn't Jewish, so we were supposed to be just hanging out.) And I love sex and affection. And he sounds fun. Also, in response to the prompt "The most important thing I am looking for in a person is" he wrote:

Someone who is intelligent, affectionate and loving, passionate and sensual, and supportive.

I certainly meet those criteria. Hell, I excel those criteria. So I initiated what eHarmony calls "guided communication": first five multiple-choice questions chosen from a list of questions created by the site, then a list of "must haves and can't stands" also chosen from a list of questions created by the site, followed by three open-ended questions (you can choose your own or select from a list of questions created by the site).

If you make it through all this testing (or if you skip the testing), you start actually communicating directly. We got through the whole process, so I sent him this easy-breezy email:

Hi Dr. P,

Here we go, actually writing our own material. I think it's very cool you're a pilot. When I went to Cape Cod a few years ago, I got to fly next to the pilot in a very small plane, and the view was unbelievable. Of course, you'd believe it because you see it every time you take off.

So how would you fly me to the moon? ;)

Best, Ayelet

He wrote back:

Hi Ayelet, it has been nice getting to know you so far and I'm happy we're able to finally write our own material :) So, how has your week been? What are your plans for the weekend? Funny that you talk about Cape Cod, I've flown there several times - I love that whole area, one of my favorite destinations during the summer months! I think it would be fun to fly you to the moon! :) Alas, I don't think my little plane would make it there, but going flying on a clear night in the light of the full moon makes you feel like you can reach out and touch it!

Dr. P

Oy. How was the week? Dreadful. My grandmother died, and I'm unemployed, so I've been going on interviews. Weekend plans? Not a one. So what the heck do I write to him??
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

No comments:

Post a Comment