Saturday, July 23, 2011

All hope is not lost

I heard back from Sylvia the shadchanit:

Shavuah tov. I have not forgotten you, my dear! It's been rather hectic for me in Israel; I am here for 6 months to help my daughter out with her new baby. By the time I sit down at the computer it is usually 1 am and I am exhausted. I still have you in mind for Netanel. He has been busy but he is free now and I will certainly, bl'i neder, talk to him about you. I am sure he will OK the match. If he has any more questions about you, you will hear from me. Sorry for the delay. I sure hope this is the one :-).

I wrote her back:

Shavua tov! Thanks for getting back to me. It certainly sounds like you've been very busy -- I didn't realize you were out of the country. I appreciate you taking the time to make this match, and I second that emotion -- I also hope this is the one! If he wants my phone number you can give it to him: 212-xxx-1234

I guess we have yet to see if Netanel is interested. As usual, I assumed wrongly. You would think, one of these days, that I would actually learn not to make snap assumptions like these.
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

3 comments:

  1. i made the same snap assumptions like that when I was dating..it was almost a defense mechanism like "oh well he doesn't like me I"ll move on" so I don't have to feel bad if he doesn't call...

    actually my husband told me (much later on) that after our first date he was so SURE I wasn't into him that he wasn't going to contact me again so he wouldn't bother me (I ended up IMing him like 2 days later when I didn't hear from him and invited him over for a group friend thing I was doing)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you cast a wide net like you do, you're going to get a lot of fish that you have to throw back.

    Speaking of which, I don't get your taste in "seafood." You go on general-interest dating sites but also use an old-fashioned Jewish matchmaker. I realize we're often a bundle of contradictions, but what is it you want, lobster or smoked whitefish?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely don't want lobster ;) In this case, the matchmaker kind of fell into my lap -- my friend Tziporah didn't want the guy, thought I might, and suggested I contact the matchmaker. I haven't had great results with matchmakers in the past, which is why I no longer seek them out.

    ReplyDelete