Sunday, August 07, 2011

The consequences of bailing on a friend

Last night I didn't show up for plans I made with a friend. Actually, she had posted that she and a friend were going to a comedy show, and then I asked to be included, and then I didn't show up. She called me, worried, and I said I'd fallen asleep and woken up too late to go. So today I sent her a brief apology:

I'm sorry I missed the evening. I should have called you when I woke up. I'm so glad you had a great time.

She responded:

Celia and I were worried that you got lost since you said you weren't good with directions. We were very dissappointed that you didn't come and Judy really wanted to meet you. Yes, you should have called when you woke up. Why didn't you?

They set 3 spots for us right in the very front and center. You would have gotten a free mixed drink as well and they were quite good. I had to apologize to them 5 minutes before the show and tell them you weren't coming when Matt went out of his way to do this for me.

I got you free tickets to a show that normally costs 15 bucks. I was pissed that you didn't show. I think it's worse when a girlfriend stands you up than a guy cause you expect more from your own friend.

If Celia didn't show I would have been all alone and even more pissed. When I have plans with a girlfriend I expect them to let me know if they cannot make it. If it were just the two of us and you didn't show, I would have been more pissed but yes, Celia and I had an awesome time and you missed out on a great evening.

I don't know what to do or say at this point. She doesn't know I have bipolar disorder, and I don't know if I want to tell her.
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

1 comment:

  1. I think this friend has some anger and impulse-control issues. I'd reply with another short apology and leave it alone. Even if you did explain the situation to this person, i don't know how sympathetic she'd be.

    ReplyDelete