Friday, August 12, 2011

Inching slowly toward employment

This morning I went to have my TB test read and from there went to the HR department. Where I found out that neither of my references -- both of whom volunteered to provide me a recommendation when I lost my job -- had emailed in a letter of recommendation. So I'm kind of freaking out. I asked them both more than a week ago, and neither even told me they weren't going to bother. I should have gotten letters from them when I left my last job. Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

I did establish that I can get a reference from my internships, which is a relief because there's no other supervisor at my former employer who would say anything good about me. But I'm leaving email and voicemail messages without actually talking to anyone, and it's got me on edge. I also feel really bad about asking them to send in a recommendation today. I might be able to get a week or two grace period from my new employer, but then I'll also be nervous and on edge waiting for them to roll in.

But waiting in my inbox was a pleasant surprise -- the email address that my friend set me up with contacted me:

Our mutual friend hasn't told me much except for an email that we're looking for similar....I imagine he meant similar life views and not that you're looking for a cute girl, bcs if you are looking for that, well, you'd really be disappointed, lol 

My name is Jacob my cell number is 917-xxx-xxxx 
During the summer I'm in NJ for the weekends and usually in Bklyn for weekdays 
Shabbat Shalom Ayelet

It was nice of him to give me his phone number, but I want him to call me.

Hi Jacob, nice to hear from you. I'm not looking for a cute girl, so maybe we should talk ;) 212-xxx-xxxx shabbat shalom umevorach, Ayelet

Maybe I'll actually go on a date one of these days. All I know is that he's probably Syrian (inferred from his being in Brooklyn during the week and NJ on the weekends). Which is fine. Syrians like me.
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

No comments:

Post a Comment