Monday, September 05, 2011

Nu, so call me already

I joined a Facebook group called "Nu, Let's Set 'Em Up!" Its purpose is to facilitate setting up single people. So far, I haven't gotten any dates from it. I've been introduced to one man, and it's not going anywhere.

This is the profile his niece posted:

42 y/o Trekkie UWS Paramedic Male seeks Ballabusta 

My uncle, age 42, never married, is the youngest of 4 sisters and 1 brother. Both parents have passed, his mother to breast cancer when he was only 10 years old. 

He grew up in a small farming town in [New England State] in a Conservedox home. He began focusing on Orthodoxy in his late 20's and over the years has grown and grown into the observant, Modern Orthodox man he is today. After years of trying to build up the small orthodox shul in his hometown, (he was the president and was responsible for ensuring there would be a minyan on shabbas as well as a hiring a Rabbi for the high holidays,) when the attempt to hire a Rabbi full time fell through, that Rabbi told him he should move on. 

With further pushing from his sisters, he moved to the Upper West Side in Manhattan with hopes of finally completing the next stage in his voyage in orthodoxy: finding his soulmate and, please G-d, raising a family. He is fit (an avid bike-rider), enjoys heated discussions, can quote you many a classic film, pop culture reference, history etc. -extremely book smart- and of course anything from Star Trek. He is a dog-lover, though he has no pets at this time, and will go out of his way to help others-I guess that’s why being a paramedic is his chosen profession-and is often the peacemaker of the family. He keeps up with the news and what’s going on in the world and in technology, he was on twitter years before it was popular, and of course is always doing his best to grow in his Judaism. He keeps kosher, shabbas, and davens with a minyan whenever he can. 

Please contact me if you would like more details or photos. He really deserves a special woman in his life who will help him continue to grow and who he can laugh and enjoy life together with and I hope to, G-d willing, be able to dance at his wedding soon!

Sounds okay. So I wrote to the niece:

Hi Niece,

I'm 41 and live on the Upper West Side. What is your uncle's name?

Ayelet

She gave me his name, and gave Uncle Paramedic (UP) mine. He friended me and we started corresponding:

August 4, 2011
Ayelet: Hi! You have a really super niece who loves you very much 

August 7, 2011
UP: Thanks, She is indeed a great person. And it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance! I see we have Plonit and her husband Plony as mutual friends. I've had Shabbos dinner at their place many times.

I'm not really close with Plonit and Plony. But it's a start.

A: They are certainly characters. So how are you enjoying our lovely weather today? 
UP: I've been tooling around in an ambulance all day. It's unusually busy for a Sunday.In fact we're going to a late job right now! 
A: Lots of people collapsing in the heat?
UP: No, mostly it has been respiratory problems.

Let's see if I can get to know him a little better:

A: So what do you like to do when you're not tooling around in the ambulance?
UP: Riding my bike, walking the neighborhood, reading, editing Wikipedia, checking up on my friends on Facebook, Twitter, and Foursquare. Etc.

Editing Wikipedia? Didn't know that was a hobby. And how much does he Twitter? I started twittering a while back, but I only do it sporadically. Thought it was mainly for celebrities and interesting people.

A: What articles have you edited? ;)

August 9, 2011
UP: Many. Mostly cleaning and fixing things.
A: But what kind of topics? History? Culture?
UP: Easier to show than to explain:

He gave me a link to a list of the articles he's edited.

UP: By the way, may you have an easy and meaningful fast today.
A: Impressive! You have an easy fast as well. Let's hope it's our last Tisha b'Av in mourning.
UP: Indeed prayer is needed. Only divine intervention could rebuild the Beis Hamikdosh with the current political situation. 
A: It's pretty terrifying.

No word for the next five days.

August 14, 2011
UP: Hi again! Instead of just messaging each other, would you like to meet? I find I don't really get to know people unless I meet them in person. Maybe for lunch Monday or Thursday?

How can I meet him for lunch when I'm working? Unless he's willing to come to my area. But my first two weeks on this job were a mad scramble among the several clinics in this hospital's methadone maintenance program. Lunch plans won't really work for me.

August 15, 2011
A: I'm starting a new job today, so meeting for lunch is probably going to be difficult until I get into a real routine. It probably makes more sense to talk on the phone first. My number is 212-xxx-xxxx. Please don't call past 9 pm, my hours start very early in the morning and I go to bed early.
August 16, 2011
UP: I will.

No phone calls. No emails. Until:

August 21, 2011
UP: I'm having trouble hitting near 9pm, when's the time I shouldn't call *before* so I have more of a target to aim at?
A: Well, I'm usually not home before 4 p.m. My schedule is very hectic this week, I'm going to a bunch of different locations and trainings, but I should be home every day by 6 at the latest.

And... silence. I guess twittering, editing Wikipedia, and saving lives is keeping him very busy. He commented on one of my FB status updates yesterday, but he hasn't called. I'm on the verge of unfriending him. And starting to understand why there's a singles crisis. Even if I give him the maximum benefit of the doubt, it's possible our schedules just don't sync. 

Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

3 comments:

  1. If it makes you feel better, I'm going through the same kind of issues setting up my first NYC dates (since I work some nights).

    ReplyDelete
  2. my husband edit's wikipedia too. :) actually I've edited quite a few wikipedia articles myself- basically what that means is that he's kinda a geek. :) But not in a bad way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a problem with him editing Wikipedia articles -- I have a problem with him not calling!

    ReplyDelete