Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Do these menisci make me look fat?

I've had 3 sets of knee MRIs: September 2009, July 2010, and last week. Apparently the new doctor I consulted -- let's call him Dr. Zoom, because he thinks and speaks quickly and efficiently -- or the radiologist who read the films are much more detail-oriented than whoever read the first two. Dr. Zoom says I have abnormally thick kneecaps, and that's why I'm having so much pain. He says I was born this way. Even though I never had knee pain before the personal trainer butchered me.

I have to give him points for originality. Others have said, "It's runner's knee, it's jumper's knee, it's inflammation," but who could anticipate that I have thick kneecaps? You can't make that stuff up.

Well, Dr. Zoom wrote me a prescription for Tylenol with codeine, because the hydrocodone I have is just WAY too constipating. I hope it doesn't give me a Vicodin hangover. I'm trying not to take too many painkillers, but I have to walk 15 minutes to and from the subway station to get to work, and I have been climbing up and down two flights of stairs for four damn months because the elevator is out.

Yes, I have a commute that's well over an hour, because the subway station close to my clinic in Nowheres, Brooklyn is closed and I have to plunge further into Nowheres before I can exit the train. And I still have to be at work at 6:45 am. It fucking sucks. I asked the doctor if all the walking and all the stairs were doing actual damage to my knees. He doesn't think so, but I'm going to ask the surgeon tomorrow.
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

No comments:

Post a Comment