Thursday, February 09, 2012

Trading acupuncture for mindfulness

So I was transferred to another clinic, which is located in a very remote part of Brooklyn. The commute is horrible, but the clinic manager is fair and sane, all the other employees are lovely, and the heroin users are just as awesome as at the other clinic.

I was sad that I had to stop volunteering as a detox acupuncturist Monday afternoons, at the needle exchange that's close to the other clinic. But now on Monday mornings I co-facilitate a group on mindfulness with the clinic doctor, who is even more awesome than the patients.

I joined a mindfulness therapy practice group through the New York State Society for Clinical Social Work. I wanted to follow up on the mindfulness therapy I underwent last winter and spring. Being able to practice at work as well as on my own time is a bonus. Almost makes up for not being able to stick pins into people anymore.

It's almost 3 am. I've got a stomach ache, because yesterday I had another set of knee MRIs. Last week I went to a new doctor recommended by a friend and he thought my right knee was swollen. It usually hurts just a little more than the left knee. And both of them have been hurting for a while because the elevator in my apartment building's been out since November 7, 2011. (Fucking management company...)

I didn't have time for lunch yesterday at work, and the MRIs weren't until 6, so I grabbed a late lunch/early dinner and wolfed it down in the waiting room, then lay down for about 50 minutes trying not to move or twitch. Forgot that I tend to have reflux and gastritis. Came home with a bad stomachache, took some Pepto-Bismol, felt better, felt hungry, had a late-night snack of banana and granola bar, woke up an hour ago with serious stomach pain. Sigh. But I have to say, I've been sleeping very well lately. This is the first night in a long time I woke up long before my alarm and couldn't fall back asleep.

So thank God for small favors. No more acupuncture, but mindfulness. Sleeping better. Dealing with the awful commute, and I'm respected and appreciated by my new colleagues. On 2/15/12 I'm done with probation; then I can submit my LCSW application, I hope, and work toward accomplishing that licensure.
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

No comments:

Post a Comment