Sunday, July 15, 2012

Blame it on the fibroids

(Warning to my male readers: You may want to skip this post)

I went to the gynecologist last week, and he is sending me for abdominal ultrasounds to monitor my burgeoning fibroids. Which may be at the root of some of my problems. I looked up common symptoms of fibroids; the ones I suffer are in bold type:
  • Bleeding between periods
  • Heavy menstrual bleeding (menorrhagia), sometimes with the passage of blood clots
  • Menstrual periods that may last longer than normal
  • Need to urinate more often
  • Pelvic cramping or pain with periods
  • Sensation of fullness or pressure in lower abdomen
  • Pain during intercourse
I've always had long periods. Minimum seven days; lately more like 8 or 9. I never knew how to categorize "heavy" menstrual bleeding, but lately I've noticed some clots. I get cramps, but nothing paralyzing. And I need to urinate 50 times a day. I thought it was either because I'm taking lithium, which is excreted in sweat and urine, or because of my frequent UTIs.

Frequent UTIs, did you say? Here are the complications of uterine fibroids, or rather, the complication most relevant to Ayelet:
  • Urinary tract infections, if pressure from the fibroid prevents the bladder from fully emptying
I guess that sonogram will tell me if I need some kind of treatment for the fibroids. I was hoping to see "unspecified knee pain" in that complications list, but alas, it was not included.
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

No comments:

Post a Comment