Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Coccyx contusion (I fell on my ass)

Call me "Ayelet Shlimazel." A week ago, I set up my cane seat near the bus stop where I embark upon my morning commute. There's no bench near it, and the pavement is decoratively uneven -- oddly tilted bricks with generous portions of concrete between them. I must have set the chair at an inopportune angle, because it broke and I fell right on my ass.

I've done this before. Not with the chair, but fallen on my ass. I'm quite accident prone. Ever since I sprained both ankles almost simultaneously when I was 17, I've had a number of relatively injuries, affecting my ankles, knees, hips, and lower back. A lot of pain, even though nothing was ever broken or torn. I think my initial injuries were the result of my hasty, impulsive nature -- literally rushing in. Subsequent injuries were facilitated by the previous injuries, which kept me always slightly off balance and vulnerable to another fall, sprain or strain.

Fortunately, I travel with ibuprofin and tramadol. I went to work, muddled through the day, and then went to a critical care walk-in medical practice. Was diagnosed with a coccyx contusion or bruised tailbone. The doctor gave me 15 Percocet and told me I'd be sore for a while. Which I am. As a counselor I work with put it, "This fall set you back 50 steps."

I'm feeling better, but not well. Definitely not well. Definitely not well enough to go on a date. So I shouldn't be disappointed that I somehow scared off yet another online suitor.

Monsieur Marocain found me on OKCupid. He's 48, Jewish, not too repulsive in appearance, and doesn't seem to have a job.

Bonjour! How to start, well, I had a chance to travel all over great nations, I grow up in Paris I am a French Jew, but still missing the real partner in life, has affection for animals and nature.

I am very active person, I always like learning something new because it makes my life more interesting. This life has plenty of different sides and I love exploring it! I love to read foreign literature 16th century. I play piano, fascinated with History, and classical music. I like finding out new things, experience new feelings and emotions and this is why I am sure that I have a lot of things to share with you.

I used to live in LA for 3 years, missed Oxnard farms and SF, but I love NYC, the park, the daily adventures, lol

I play piano, saxo, drum, guitar, I prefer to listen to real music, I am not into hard rock music, but I am interested to all kind of music.

i came from a large family, 6 and 4 sisters, i was born in south morocco, but grew up in Paris , France…

I am a real gemini, love to challenge myself, I am a graduate from SBU in Biochemistry,Now i take time for myself and enjoy every moment, i enjoy it, give me time to travel, discover new places I always try to keep busy doing something.

Favorite books, movies, shows, music, and food: i judge a person with the size of his bookshelves, My father use to teach us to organize books acoording to their century. Let side of my bookshelves are the spinoza era..., beaudelaire, Zola, montesquieu, Monpassant, alain, Freud, Nietzche. i play piano, guitare, drum, saxo, violon, my last opera was from Verdi with a wagner touch. and your type? circle du soleil?

I can't fault him for his writing -- English isn't his first language. He definitely seems cultured and educated. But what's with taking time for himself and traveling?

He wrote to me on a Sunday:

Bonjour,
How's your day, are you working today, we have a lot to share, I just got home, are you in town, I would like to know you, txt me if you are interested, we can have a drink, 818 xxx-xxxx
a Bientot
merci
MM

Why would I be working on a Sunday? Okay, I realize that sounds suspicious. Be nice, Ayelet.

Bonjour MM, thanks for writing. No, today I'm just relaxing. I live in Manhattan. Where do you live? 

Took every ounce of self-control not to ask, "What do you do?"

I live in Brooklyn, Midwood. not so far from the beach, lol, what did you do for your bday,
we can talk 818 xxx-xxxx


I guess he saw that I had a birthday recently. Or he's been watching my profile and watched my age change. I decided to be bold and call him, but there was no answer and I didn't want to leave a message.

Tried calling, I guess you were out. How did your travels lead you to Brooklyn, of all places? ;)

He responded very quickly:

oh sorry, I was cooking a nice fish for dinner, I will save you one, it's a red snapper with a lot of herbs, voila,
I travel a lot in my life, but now, that all I want to relax, buy a house get a family and then travel again, lol


Well, I do like fish. But before I could respond he wrote again:

what are you doing ! 212 #? 873 xx 21?

For some reason his caller ID only captured 8 of 10 digits.

Snapper with herbs -- nice, I'll take a raincheck ;) Sorry we didn't get to talk yesterday. Maybe Wednesday? Have an easy fast. 
Tuesday being Tisha b'Av. I wasn't fasting, but I didn't think that it made sense to talk right after the fast.

YES,
it will be better, , have an easy fast,
a Bientot

But he couldn't stop himself from emailing me during the fast:

salut Ayelet,
hows your day, I am free later, we can break the fast together, lol 
I ignored it. "The Rules" say you shouldn't respond quickly to messages, and you shouldn't respond to every message. So I tried calling him on Wednesday, and again he didn't answer.

Tried calling but you didn't answer. You can try me at 212-873-6821, but please don't call after 9 p.m. 

Because I have to get up stupid early for work.

oh, it was you, I was with my bank on the phone ok, I will call, MM 

Except he didn't. Not on Thursday or Friday. So I wrote back to him on Sunday morning:

shavua tov
He responded promptly:

shavua tov, how's ur day so far, I am home in Brooklyn and u? 

A friend and I were going to brunch for a belated birthday celebration.

so far so good, having brunch with a friend later 

Was that where I screwed it up? Because all he responded was:

good enjoy your day

Throwing caution to the wind, I wrote:

do you still want to talk sometime?

Radio silence.  So how did I screw up this time?
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

No comments:

Post a Comment