Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Fish oil withdrawal

Fish oil is good for a number of things, including brain and cardiac function. I've been taking fish oil supplements for a long time. But fish oil also inhibits clotting (probably how it helps cardiac function), and with surgery scheduled for August 5, I thought I should stop taking it. So when I finished a bottle of it Saturday night, I didn't open a new one on Sunday.

Yesterday I felt listless and lethargic all day at work. Not feverish. Just weak, as though gravity had somehow increased, and neauseated. Didn't feel like eating, which is rare for me. I went to bed at 5 p.m., got up at 9 p.m. to take my medications, and slept through the night. Today when I got up, I felt worse. Hated to call in sick, since I called in sick a week ago with knee pain. But I could barely move, still felt nauseated.

I tried to think of what could be the problem. I wondered if it could be related to my use of the lidocaine patches. But I've been using them for less than the recommended 12 hours per day. The only other change, I realized, was stopping the fish oil. I guess I can't stop anything abruptly. If I've had severe reactions to starting some supplements that didn't agree with me, like valerian and passionflower, then stopping a supplement that I've gotten used to could also cause problems.

Another problem; my absences from work and taking leave. Apparently I haven't worked enough hours this year, because of my leave last winter, to take intermittent FMLA. Not sure if I'll be able to take off two weeks for the surgery this August. I'm trying so hard, it's so frustrating. I can't even write really well about it because I still feel completely drained. I have to check if I have any vacation time left, maybe I'll have to use that. I haven't been paying attention to vacation time and sick time, because every time I take off isn't really optional, but I need to figure something out. That makes no sense. I'm going to go lie down.
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

No comments:

Post a Comment