Saturday, June 25, 2016

Amputate: a poem

I wrote a poem, and I hope that doesn't mean I'm manic. It's about nobody in particular.

Amputate

I should amputate
the traitorous parts of me: the arms
that reach for you, the
fingers that want to trace
your jaw and cheek and
all your beautiful bones, the
heart that wants to beat in unison
with yours.
The tongue that seeks your shoulder, chest, your neck and
every inch of skin; the hips
that sway in your direction when
the traitorous eyes enrobe you in their gaze.
I should amputate the thighs
that wrap yours cozily, the fragile cheek
that presses on your beard.
My lying mouth
betrayed me when I said
I didn't need you, didn't love,
and since I cannot amputate
you from my treacherous heart,
my heart should be the first
to feel the blade.
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a love that you may hate yourself for still feeling? Those are the worst indeed. Happy 4th Ayelet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I hate myself for loving you"? ;) Not really. Like I said, it was inspired more by the emotion than any individual in particular. Happy 4th to you as well.

      Delete