Thursday, July 07, 2016

I feel like an elephant: another poem

It's hot, and I feel like an elephant,
massive and lumbering.
Elephants are emotional
creatures, loving touch and contact
with their own and other species. Elephants
are loyal, weeping when bereaved. Elephants enraged 
can charge and stomp, but never unprovoked. 
At least I hope it's never unprovoked. When I stomp
I'm usually not as destructive externally.

I feel like a hippopotamus, 
clumsy on land, barreling along
on stumpy legs. But hippopotamuses 
are elegantly graceful in their element, which is water.
Mine is supposed to be air, but somehow
I'm rarely graceful in it. So I wish
I were more like a hippopotamus.

I feel like a whale. Or I wish I did.
Whales are incredibly powerful, with
an amazing sense of smell, sense of self.
Whales can swim with their eyes open in the ocean.
I can't do that, it stings me.
Whales travel in pods, whereas I seem to run through friends
too quickly, either discarding those
that ultimately annoy more than companion, or 
detaching, sadly,
from all those who join new pods.
Facing the constant hunt and chase and acquisition
of new whales who can resonate at my
own frequency, just like the whales who drifted away
to love and cradles, backyards and the suburbs.

Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

1 comment:

  1. Very well written, Ayelet. Quick observation: You have been most kind to share stories / insight as to who you are and what you have been through; however it's also more of YOU providing insight to others who identify with these stories. Almost as if....you are 'ministering' to them. Which is a beautiful thing!

    As they say, 'those that give shall also receive in abundance'.

    Do not devalue who you are, Ayelet. Stay the course and keep writing.

    Oh and.....choose a giraffe next time....for giraffes have a 25lbs heart and eats from the tops of trees while every other animal eats from the grass. ;)

    ReplyDelete